Graduate Program in Sustainable Agriculture
- Academic program offering MS and PhD degrees.
- Student Operated Organic Farm
- An interdisiplinary learning center integrated with the community. Methods demonstrated on the
farm aim to strengthen the local food system and to promote ecologically sensitive agriculture.
- Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture
- Explores and cultivates alternatives that support healthy people and landscapes in Iowa and the nation.
National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment (NLAE)
- The mission of the NLAE is to integrate soil, water, and air processes into animal, cropping, and
watershed systems to enhance agriculture and protect the environment.
- Organic Crop Production
- Research/demonstration plots of organic soybeans following CRP land; organic herb and vegetable production
trials and long-term agroecological plots at ISU Research Farms.
- Iowa Water Center
- Develops statewide interinstitutional linkages through interdisciplinary research teams from universities
and private and public sectors to address water quality research.
- Farm Economy Issues
- Programs and services in household finances, farm finances, commodity marketing, direct marketing,
structural change, farm and rural life issues.
- Wallace Endowed Chair for Sustainable Agriculture
- Promoting the wise use of science and public policy for protecting natural resources and farmland, the
enhancement of rural communities, and the alleviation of global poverty and hunger.
- Center for Sustainable Rural Livelihoods
- The Center for Sustainable Rural Livelihoods (CSRL) is a unique effort dedicated to providing leadership and
support that help alleviate hunger and poverty in developing countries.
- Hoop Structures for Livestock
- Contrast the performance of pigs in hoops to the performance of pigs finished in other confinement
- Integrated Pest Management
- Newsletters, databases, and extension information to determine threshholds and pest management alternatives.
- Manure Management Action Group
- To provide a vehicle for a coordinated and comprehensive approach to improve manure management in Iowa.
- Practical Farmers of Iowa
- Participatory on-farm research, promoting farming systems that are profitable, ecologically sound,
and good for families and communities.
Sustainable Agriculture Extension Programs
- Sponsors sustainable agriculture programs for farmers, agricultural professionals, and the public.
- Using Compost for a Safer Environment
- Methods to improve the use of biological wastes and improve solid waste management.